A Promise to Come!

18 Response to A Promise to Come!

January 6, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I am clinging too!!!

January 6, 2010 at 5:02 PM

OK, I am going to be the first to admit that I have already failed at my fast...I was determined to fast from all carbonated beverages, especially Diet Coke, for these 40 days. Yesterday I made it but spent sooooo much time thinking about what I was missing that it almost consumed my whole "snow day" off. Yes, each time I did pray and asked God to give me strength and focus for this journey and He was faithful each time but it made me so aware of how controlled I am by things of this world.

Then today came and when I went to lunch, I went through Subway and ordered a 6 inch Club "Combo" as I always do... and it never even occurred to me what I was doing??? Even as I sat through my lunch meeting and ate the meal I had purchased, and yes, drank the large Diet Coke, it never even occurred to me that I was breaking my promise. It wasn't until I was in my car driving back to my office that it hit me like a ton of bricks!!! I failed, I broke my fast within the first 48 hours... it almost made me cry. I honestly felt so "out of control", but as I began to pray and confess and beg God to work with me on this... I realized that I haven't lost control enough!! I still haven't surrendered it all to the One who IS in control. I'm still trying to do it myself. I also realized how easy it is to fall back into habits without even knowing it...Satan is so smooth in that trap.

This evening I am begging Our Lord to help me give Him control of my life and this journey. Without Him, I will surely fail. Praise God that He is merciful to give us all another chance...as many times as it takes. I've started my fast again. Pray for me!!

January 6, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Sisi, thank you so much for your inspiring words everyday---what a much needed blessing! =) So...first, I am giving up sweet tea!!! I am allowing myself only one teeny tiny cup in the morning(since it's my only caffeine fix). For those of you who know me well, know that this is huge! I usually have to have my daily run to McDonalds or Sonic for my route 44 sweet tea...at least once a day!! Yikes! But, NOTHING is impossible with God, right?! =)Also, Matthew and I are preparing for our first half-marathon in April and we have a pretty rough training schedule in the few months ahead. I am asking HIM to help me keep my committment and spend more time talking with God on my runs, instead of listening to my ipod!

I am SO excited to see how God leads as we journey together! Praying for you all! =)

January 6, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Thank you so much Elisabeth for these encouraging words daily! I've already been looking forward to the fact that I have this for these next few weeks... I had the privilege of getting to do my first (can you believe it took this long?!?) Beth Moore study w/ Rhonda earlier in the Year... it was Esther and really prepared me for a rough year ahead...I am so thankful for this time of preparation with all you girls ... however I'm praying for a MUCH less eventful year as far as the pain goes... :o) I'm hoping for eventful in the other direction... but you know, really each of the things that happened has had a blessing attached...it is beyond my comprehension how joyful I feel that my dear baby, Amy, my grandma and Mike's grandma are all w/ our Daddy in Heaven... They are all already celebrating, so why should we be sad?

I did something different for my "fast"... I've added something...(And Hannah, I considered giving up my McDonald's Tea too... I could take it intervenously (sp?)... but I am cutting back... and now praying for you.. hee hee :o) but I've added learning to run for my fast...I've never been able to run more that 30 seconds or so at a time... and to be honest hadn't had any desire to learn, but it is what has been laid on my heart... I am fasting from my lazy mindset... and it is SO DIFFICULT already! As a matter of fact, I'd better get off of here and get some sleep b/c I'm meeting my cousin at 5:30am on a beautiful snow day off from school for day three of my training schedule... I'm shaking my head in disbelief that this is me as I typed that...but, God is doing a New Thing!!!! :o) Have a great day girls!

January 7, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Rhonda thanks for posting our blog, that just shows us how much the enemy does not want this journey to succeed. But just hang in there, I will be praying for you. My fast has been coffee, and oh what a challenge. It is part of my morning routine and it has been rough. But when I think of wanting a cup, I think of how I am pleasing God by NOT drinking a cup. Please keep me in your prayers as well.
We can ALL do this journey with each others prayer's!!

GOD BLESS

January 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM

FAITH- substance of things hoped for, the eveidence of things not seen....
I too have come to realize my FAITH in him is not where it should be. Surrending it ALL is so hard. Daily routine takes over, trying to do it all on my own has not worked. I need to have more FAITH and trust in my heavenly father to do exceedingly more than I can imagine. There was a time in my life when the material things is what made me happy, but when those things are no longer available it helps you to focus on the things that are truelly important. GOD, FAMILY and FRIENDS. Those are the people who love you no matter your faults. Nice cars, big houses, the best of educations mean nothing if you don't surrender to the one who allows you to have it. It is about focusing on the important things in your life, the now. And how you are praising him even for the little things in your life.
Psalm 9:1 says "I will praise you O Lord with my WHOLE heart, I will tell of your marvelous works, I will be glad and rejoice in you, I will sing praise to your name."
That is my testimony. God is good, he has done marvelous things in my life, and when I struggle I need to learn to cling to his word, for only he can pull me out of the pit I am in and wipe me clean. Praying GOD to do marvelous things for you all. Love ya.

January 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Sweet Rhonda, NO WORRIES! I am so glad that we were able to talk yesterday!! I love you and I am praying for you. Praise God that today is a new day & we have a new opportunity to serve Jesus! Remember that the goal is not separation from things, but intimacy with God. You are doing GREAT and I am so proud of you. I know how hard it is to fast Diet Coke! :) Press on sister! Stay encouraged. Forget the past and strain ahead. I am right by your side. We are on this journey together!! Love you! :)

January 7, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Hannah,
WOW! Sweet Tea! :) I am anxious to see you and you can help me begin to run as well. I love you and I am so blessed that you are on this journey with me. I praise Jesus for my little sister!! Praying for you too!
Sisi

January 7, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Jennifer,
Thank you so much!! I am so happy to be sharing this journey with you! I know that 2009 was a difficult year for you and your sweet family. Please know that I have been and will continue to keep you in my prayers. God has an amazing year ahead for your family and I can't wait to see all that He has in store!

I LOVE Beth Moore! I am trying to figure out how to link her site on my page, so that others can go deep in God's Word with her. I just a little technology challenged. :)

One of my goals this year is to start running also!! That's awesome. My sister is going to help me get started. I will need lots of prayer! Maybe we can do a Disney Marathon together when we learn to run!! :)

I love you and I am praying for you! Stay encouraged!! Press on! :)

January 7, 2010 at 1:02 PM

mzpeyton,

Thank you so much for joining this journey with me! I am praying for you! Have a blessed day!!

January 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Vivian,
I love & appreciate you so much!! I love your emphasis on the simple, small things! I don't want to miss a single one of them. I am praying for you!!

January 7, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Christy,
I'm still clinging!:)Praying for you! Love you!

January 7, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Elizabeth,
I am finally on. I put the post on facebook also.Thanks for starting this group. At church last night in bible study your father said that he want's his children to follow the Lord wherever that may take them. He said we have all eternity in Heaven together. What a sacrifice to make as a father.You / Your family is a true example of what Christian means. I have not decided yet what I will fast since I just now got on here . I think it will be sweets since that is one earthly thing that I adore and have everyday. I am following you girl-- U GO Girl !

January 7, 2010 at 1:28 PM

PS-- I know this blog is about being a servant and I will keep it like that but since this is my main communication with you I just had to tell you, you remind me of Beth Moore and resemble her also.

January 7, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Thanks Elisabeth, I am so glad we got to talk last night too! Thank you so much for praying with me. I love you and miss you and wish I could give you a hug. I praise God for bringing you and your family into my life!!!
PS. I'm making it today! I almost ordered a combo meal at the Chic-Fil-A drive through today but I caught myself and only ordered the sandwich. One meal at a time!! LOL

January 8, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Elisabeth! I litterally cried when you said maybe we could do a Disney marathon together! That would be SO amazing! (And of course would give me lots more motivation while learning! hee hee!) Isn't it amazing that God knows and cares about even the tiniest desires of our hearts!? (Mike and Tori are all for it too! Hee hee!) Love you!

January 8, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Thank you Deb!! WOW! You are so kind. I am so happy that you have joined me on this journey! Praying for you!!

January 8, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Rhonda ~ YAY!! I'm so proud of you!!

Jen ~ I got your inbox today!! That would be so awesome! Love you!!

Post a Comment