Joy in the Journey!

4 Response to Joy in the Journey!

January 8, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Just a note. I am going to be traveling tomorrow. I will be in the airport all day and it may be late before I can post. Thank you for your patience. Also, please be praying for me as my son leaves to go back to college tomorrow. Thanks so much Journey Girls!! Love you all!

January 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
January 9, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I am not a believer in coincidence. My husband once preached that, "Coincidence is simply evidence of God's work in your life." So, my spiritual "ears" perked up when I read Elisabeth's section above on Elijah running from God in I Kings. The reason my "ears" perked up is because I just read this passage recently, and prayed about it! This passage happened during an intense time of serving God in Elijah's life, and he didn't understand how things could go so wrong when he was doing what God had asked him to do. He had lost his "joy", too, so to speak, and fear had set in.

But, there were some significant findings in Elijah's story. 1) God came to minister to him. Elijah prayed to die, but because God was not finished with Elijah's ministry, He knew that Elijah needed this time to "reboot". God sent an angel to provide much needed food and water during while God allowed him to get some much needed rest. This shows just how in tune God is with our needs, even in times of discouragement. He wants to take care of our basic needs in addition to our spiritual needs.

2) God showed Himself to Elijah during this time. I believe this was an attempt to remind Elijah just how much more powerful He was than Elijah's current circumstances in his ministry. Elijah was fearful for his life, and needed this reminder of His power. After all of the dramatic natural occurrences that took place, though, it was only through God's whisper that Elijah came returned to finish his conversation with the Lord.

And, 3) God didn't chastise him for running and hiding. Instead, He told him to go back, but provided an assistant, Elisha, to help alongside Elijah's ministry. This was the point that really stuck with me. And here's why...

After being in the "ministry" all of my life (Elisabeth will understand this completely), first as a preacher's kid, and now as a preacher's wife of almost 18 years, the past few years I've felt my joy diminishing. Difficult circumstances and feelings of self-pity (always ministering to others, but never being ministered to) had seemed to suck Christ's joy right out of my life. But, after studying this era of Elijah's life a few weeks ago, I prayed fervently to God about this. In my heart, I knew there was much more to do for Him. I just didn't feel adequate any longer. I prayed for Christian friends to come alongside and help restore that desire to continue on.

I believe that this study today proved that God has answered that prayer through "Servant Girl's Heart"! He has not only provided one person to walk alongside and encourage, but all of you!

Thank you, Lord!! You always give us much more than we imagine or deserve! And, restore my joy, Jesus. Renew that inner compassion for Your work and Your people within me. Amen.

January 10, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Jewelie,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words! Awesome!! I love this passage & I love what you shared. It really spoke to me. I completely understand how you have been feeling. I've been in that same place too. I'm so happy that I have you & all the other journey girls to help me along the way.

I am praying too for a renewed inner passion, for a renewed joy and for a healing that only Jesus can give.

I love you Jewelie and I am praying for you daily. God is doing awesome things through you and He has much to do in and through you in 2010. I'm praising Him for His Spirit's moving in our lives.

Post a Comment